Write the notes C-D-E-F-G-A one by one on the treble clef staff. Ask students to identify if the notes are line notes or space notes, and which line or space it is. Leave this up to help students complete the worksheet.
Explain the rules for the contest.
1) Students will work in pairs to complete the worksheet.
2) Students should begin by identifying each note of the five melodic fragments, writing the name of each note on the line below the note.
3) After identifying each note of the five melodic fragments the student pairs are to bring their worksheet to the teacher to be checked for accuracy.
4) Student pairs correctly naming each note on the worksheet may take an Orff xylophone/metallophone to their space in the classroom and begin to identify the names of the songs. Each song title is given at the bottom of the worksheet along with several additional popular children's songs.
5) The first 3 groups to correctly complete the worksheet will take first, second and third place. Prizes or candy may be awarded.
Allow students to choose a partner and find a place around the classroom to work together.
Ask one student from each pair to collect a worksheet and pencil and return to their partner. (Placing worksheets and pencils in several locations around the room can help increase on-task time.)
Students completing their worksheet early should return to their work space to work on one of the melodic fragments to perform at the end of class. Some students may enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to play the complete melody.
Congratulate the first, second and third place winners.