MusicStars Online Music Festival | FAQ's
from the Private Teacher Index
Thank you for your interest in participating in the 8th Annual MusicStars online music festival (June 1st-July 31st).
Below you'll find all the details about how to join the fun including:
Visit the MusicStars Music Festival Showcase page to view video performances of participating students from our last festival.
Want festival updates? Scroll to the bottom of this page to sign-up to receive the MakingMusicFun.net Newsletter.
1) The festival is open to piano students (ages 6-12), and woodwind, brass, string, percussion and voice students (ages 10-12). Students must be within these age ranges at the time they record their video performance.
2) Students must have studied for at least one year prior to application.
3) Students must be currently taking music lessons.
1) Students may submit a video performance of one piece not exceeding 5 minutes in length.
2) Musical selections are limited to sheet music arrangements from the MMF Sheet Music Index, graded lesson books (Alfred's, Piano Adventures, etc.) classical music, folk music, Disney songs, movie and TV music, and/or Broadway scores.
3) Photocopies of music with numbered measures must be included with student application.
4) No musical selection may be changed after the application has been mailed.
5) Music may be memorized, though it is not required.
USA students may send checks or money orders. International students are required to include a USA currency money order with their application.
Entry Fee for All Divisions: $22 USD per Student
The following solo divisions are our best attempt in providing a fair competition for young performers. Our overriding goal with this festival, however, is that students be provided motivation to excel as young musicians and be encouraged for their effort.
1) Beginning (Ages 6-8)
2) Intermediate (Ages 9-10)
3) Advanced (Ages 11-12)
Interested in participating? Begin by printing a MusicStars 2019 Festival Registration Packet. Please take the time to review and complete each step. Incomplete information may result in the disqualification of the student.
Student video performances will be adjudicated by one or more professional music teachers. Helpful tips will be offered for improving each student's performance, along with praise for the things they are doing well.
Using a 100 point system, each performance will be evaluated with the following criteria:
1) Accuracy (20 Points)
2) Interpretation (20 Points)
3) Technique (20 Points)
4) Musicianship (20 Points)
5) Overall Performance (20 Points)
The total number of points awarded by the adjudicator will determine their level of achievement. Because the purpose of this festival is both growing musicianship and happy kids, no student will receive less than 70 points.
Four Distinctions of Achievement
Superior/Shining Star (90-100 Points) The Highest Standard with Strong Preparation, Style, and Accuracy (3 stand-out performances from each division will be selected)
Superior (90-100 Points) Strong Preparation, Style and Accuracy
Excellent (80-89 Points) Strong Preparation, but with More Flaws
Good Effort (70-79 Points) Average Preparation
The number of students at each level of achievement will be tallied and provided in the MusicStars Music Festival Showcase.
Superior (90-100 Points) - 75 Students
Excellent (80-89 Points) - 54 Students
Good Effort (70-79 Points) - 10 Students
Student Awards Showcase
All participating students will be featured in the MusicStars Music Festival Showcase. Students named "Shining Stars" will receive a trophy and a $25 Visa gift card. All other students will receive a personalized award certificate reflecting their level of achievement.
MusicStars Music Award Certificate
Adjudicators will select three (3) students from each division to be named "Shining Stars." These 9 students will be highlighted in the MusicStars Music Festival Showcase, receive a music award certificate, and a $25 Visa gift card.
Results will be announced in our newsletter in the first week of November. Awards, certificates and adjudication sheets will be shipped within one week of the announcement.
Want to check out a couple videos of participants from previous years? Here are two of our "Shining Stars."
"I love your online festival idea because it is very NON-threatening and that's what the kids really like about it too." - Sarah M.
"Thank you MMF! My son always enjoys the extra motivation." - Selina H.
"Thanks for hosting this every year! It's a great low-stress opportunity for students!" Dawn I.
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org